The Federal University of Technology, Owerri – founded in 1980, the University was one of the first three Federal Universities of Technology established by the Federal Government. It is situated about twenty-five kilometers away from the center of Owerri metropolis.
The post of the Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri will become vacant on June 19, 2016. In accordance with the provisions of the Federal Universities of Technology Act, Cap. F 23, Volume 7, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004, the Governing Council of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri wishes to commence the process of filling the vacancy for the University.
In this regard, applications are hereby invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for the post below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
- The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri must possess a good University education from a recognized University and should be a good manager of human and material resources.
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University, Ex-Officio Chairman of the Senate and Congregation and Member of the University Governing Council.
The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor is required to:
- Be an acclaimed scholar who is a Professor of very high repute with academic qualifications, including possession of a Ph.D and publications that are of both national and international standard;
- Be a Professor with fields of specialization relevant to the academic Programmes under the mandate of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri and must have a minimum of 15 (Fifteen) years of academic or cognate experience, at least 10 (ten) of which must be as a Professor;
- Be someone who appreciates, respects and promotes merit without fear or favour even under pressure;
- Be a person with entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract funds and other resources for the development of the University;
- Possess the ability to create the much needed harmony between staff and students on one hand and between members of the University and the host communities on the other;
- Be a person with a clear vision for the development of the University;
- Be a person of probity and integrity;
- Be a person who is acceptable and has the ability to command respect and provide academic and administrative leadership in the University;
- Be a person with good grasp of information and communication technology skills and appreciates its significance in the contemporary knowledge industry;
- Be competent at all times to advise the University Council on matters affecting the projects, finance and administration of the University;
- Be a person who will not be more than 64 (sixty-four) years of age by June 19, 2016 when the position is scheduled to be occupied.
Terms and Conditions of Service Applicable to the Post
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment. The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of a Vice-chancellor in all Nigerian Federal Universities and as may be determined by the Federal Government/Governing Council of the University as appropriate.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply/comply with the following conditions:
- Each application be made in forty (40) copies of Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated by the candidate.
- Each Curriculum Vitae must include the names and addresses of three (3) referees. Each applicant must request each referee to forward to the Registrar, a confidential report on the
- candidate’s character, academic and managerial competencies in a properly sealed envelope marked “Post of Vice-Chancellor: Referees report” at the top left hand corner of the envelope.
- Each application should be accompanied by forty (40) copies of the candidate’s “Vision for the University”/”Mission Statement”
- In the case of candidate(s) identified and nominated by the Search Team, each application must in addition be accompanied by a letter of consent duly signed by the candidate.
All applications/Curriculum Vitae and other relevant documents should be submitted under confidential cover and addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary Council
Federal University of Technology,
Note: The sealed envelope(s) containing the applications nominations should be marked “VICE-CHANCELLOR” at the top left hand corner and forwarded in time to reach the Registrar and Secretary to Council not later than six weeks from the date of publication.
Application Deadline Date
25th January, 2016.